I’ve been doing this blogging thing for over a month now, and I figure it’s about time I took stock, something I’ll probably start doing regularly, partly as a kind of ‘intro’ to me for any new blog followers (blollowers?) I might acquire and partly so I can see if I’ve actually made any kind of progress. A monthly version of this might give me the kick I need to ensure that each is more impressive than the last.
With that in mind, this is where I’m at as of August 2012:
I’m a writer/filmmaker/BA graduate living in Scarborough, North Yorkshire, which is a place young people attempt escape from and old people come to die.
I say writer/filmmaker like that’s my job, but no-one’s actually paying me to do that yet. No-one’s paying me to do anything except the government, who want me to get a job so they don’t have to keep supporting my lazy ass.
I’ve written and/or worked on various York-based film projects including some shorts, a few web series (including a very short-lived one I created and ran) and a couple of features.
My summer is being spent at home with my parents while I’m temporarily homeless, but I shall be returning to my adopted home some time around October. Ready the champagne and all that. The intention was to spend this time away from most of my friends and collaborators working on writing projects and generally Getting Things Done, but a well-stocked fridge and countless movie channels are formidable opponents to concentration and success.
Among the many things I have yet to finish, these are chief:
– A feature-length screenplay called Scars, which I’m this close to starting the second draft of;
– A new web series that I only have a paltry one-page document to show that it even exists;
– A long-form comics collaboration, ARK 14, that requires a plot, backstory and character overhaul long before I even start writing Issue 1. Oh, and an artist. An artist would be nice;
– My third of another feature project, this time a collaboration with two other writers. I’m about 9 pages in, he said guiltily;
– A play type thing I came up with. I think I’ve written about two sentences about it. So, naturally, that’s the thing I’m most thinking about.
However, there are some things I have managed to accomplish:
– Writing or co-writing six scripts for the third season of web series I Am Tim, one of which I’ll tentatively be directing;
– Coming up with a heap of ideas for short films to be made with York-based production company Parashoots, cunningly titled Parashorts.
– Script editing and supervising on yet another series, Nights At The Round Table, a nerd-comedy set in the wild world of role-playing games. It’s hella funny, and the pilot got approval from Geek Overlord Wil Wheaton, so it’s kind of a big deal.
– Er, that’s about it.
Not a whole lot of wins there. I could have posted more things that are on the backburner (like the new web series I just came up with while writing this) but honestly, a lot of those things won’t really require my attention until I’m done with the primary concerns.
Unless I get really distracted. Y’know what’ll help? Making more lists. Maybe a to-do list. Those always get you to do the things you need to do, right? They totally don’t waste your time by reiterating the things your brain has already been shouting at you for the past six months. Totally.
The next one of these will probably be shorter. I hope.